Friday, March 18, 2011

2004 - New Radio, Stuck in 4H



Hey Everyone!



I'm new here, please be nice!



I have a 2004 Limited 4Runner with a JBL RDS system, v6 4wd. I had someone install a new stereo in my car, its a Pioneer AVH-P3200DVD if anyone is interested, which included a new wiring harness, installation kit and steering wheel control adapter.



As some of you may know the entire underside of the dash has to come out, both sides, to get to pull the center console out just to begin removing the existing stereo. Since the stereo has been put in, I noticed a few hours later that the 4WD light was on. We found some sand after messing with the 4WD switch to test and see if I was actually in 4H (not 4L cause i had no issues accelerating to full speed) and that it was not just the light stuck on. If peeling out with all four tires didn't prove I was in 4H, getting ridiculously terrible gas mileage did.



That being said - if I go to take the dash apart myself, what am I looking for? I would assume that during installation the 4WD knob wire is accidentally grounding or touching something that's sending a signal to put it in 4H? I've put it in 4L and 2H, nothing phases it so the knob doesn't seem to be sending any signal at all.



OR if the car was in 4H when the battery was plugged back in could the system just think that 4H is default? Would it help to unplug the battery, double check that I'm in 2H then plug the battery back up as if to 'resync' the system?



Thanks for taking the time to help!

No comments:

Post a Comment