Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Engine cold starts... Idle high?



Hey guys just wondering what everyones cold starts are like on ther matrix's. Mine is an 04, and when I start it it idles very high i think. When its about -5 celsius or colder I notice that the engine idles at about 2800 rpm for almost 5 min untill the engine is warm. Once it is warm it idles at about 1000 which i believe is normal. But I thought 2800 was a bit high.. Whats your guys thoughts?

Reply 1 : Engine cold starts... Idle high?



What oil viscosity do you have in there now?



My ambient temps typically are not as low as yours -5C (23 F), but I do see engine idling 2000+ RPMs until the temp gauge starts to move, then a little blip of the throttle brings it back down.



Last night it got pretty cold (-7C (18 F)), this morning, my other car - the 2002 Corolla was complaining a little bit, high idled at almost 2500RPMs, waited about 30 seconds to get fluids moving, then drove gingerly until the temps started to climb. Was fine after about 2 minutes of driving, figure if I just let it sit and idle, probably would have idled for at least 5 minutes.

Reply 2 : Engine cold starts... Idle high?



Matrix has such a small motor that toyota designed the motor to rev higher when it's cold out. It allows the motor to heat up faster. I once had a 2002 rav4 and it did the same thing. I brought it in and that's what the tech told me. But 2,800 is a little high. Mine revs to 2100-2200 when it's like -10 out.

No comments:

Post a Comment