Friday, March 25, 2011

Steering Stiffness



My 275,000 mile 97 XLS has served me real well since I bought it new. Just lately, the steering is stiff/not stiff depending on what position the steering wheel is in. PS fluid is fine, volume-wise. The rack had been replaced a while back. i'm puzzled. Any ideas?

Reply 1 : Steering Stiffness



What is the condition of the fluid? It should be bright red. I would try a flush or suck out the old fluid in the reservoir and refill with new fluid.

Reply 2 : Steering Stiffness



Gonna give it a try. It could be that simple, eh? Tranny fluid (DexronIII or the like, if I recall) It'll be a cheap fix. Thanx for the suggestion.

Reply 3 : Steering Stiffness



i used regular power steering fluid in mine. works well, is a bit thicker and provides more lube than atf.



atf is vegetable oil. it is used because many parts in an automatic trans would be damaged by mineral oil. those parts (clutches, bands) are not present in power steering.



i bought a thingy with a large rubber bulb on it. i vacuumed the nasty old oil out, refilled it, and did it again (several times) with the engine running. the avvy holds very little fluid. it took me about a week to get pristine fluid running through the system and i had used about 3/4 of the quart of power steering fluid i bought.



i saved my p/s rack. hope you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment