Sunday, March 20, 2011

Code P0012, anyone dealt with this???



The info AutoZone gave me on probable causes is a laundry list, so before I start hanging new parts I'm hopeing someone has had this... It runs fine, seems to idle a tic rough, but that could be my imagination... It has come on for about 2 days, went off for a few weeks, then returned yesterday. Appreciate the help! 2005 XA

Reply 1 : Code P0012, anyone dealt with this???



Did they tell you what that code means? I don't know ( or have the OBDII scantool with me or a xa) what it means.

Reply 2 : Code P0012, anyone dealt with this???



Never heard of that code before.

Reply 3 : Code P0012, anyone dealt with this???



P0012 Camshaft Position "A" Timing Over-Retarded (Bank1)



That could cause a rough idle. Would also have a lack of preformance/power too though. I would clear that out and see if it comes back. Some of the possible causes are dilluted oil or a problem in the PCV (OCV) system. I would see if the code returns before changing anything.

Reply 4 : Code P0012, anyone dealt with this???



I've had the P0012 three times on my '04 MR2 Spyder (1ZZ stock engine). I've cleared it each time, but it has come back after about 1 week of driving. Engine is running great. No noise. No oil consumption. No loss of power. No odors or exhaust smoke. I'm confused.

Reply 5 : Code P0012, anyone dealt with this???



sounds like your have a problem with your camshaft timing oil control valve sticking or stuck in the open position replace it and the code should not come back ps i have 18 of these in my fleet with 300,000 miles or more so i have seen this before

Reply 6 : Code P0012, anyone dealt with this???



I have a 2005 Xa scion with just under 100k. Its a manual and when looking up this code that came up on my car a few weeks ago I found this. http://tijil.org/Scion_TSBs/eg00307.pdf My VIN falls under this so I'm going to check with a dealer to see if there is away to see if this was done on the car already. I had the code cleared but it came back and now the car on accel. stutters and hesitates for a bit then clears in about any gear but 5th. Runs fine on the hwy its just city driving you really notice it.



I bought this car used from a dealer so I don't know how old the fuel filter, plugs, cap/rotor or plugs are. I'm going to find out today, but would those things cause this error code (P0012) http://engine-codes.com/p0012_scion.html ?

Reply 7 : Code P0012, anyone dealt with this???




Quote:








Originally Posted by derjuden
View Post

I have a 2005 Xa scion with just under 100k. Its a manual and when looking up this code that came up on my car a few weeks ago I found this. http://tijil.org/Scion_TSBs/eg00307.pdf My VIN falls under this so I'm going to check with a dealer to see if there is away to see if this was done on the car already. I had the code cleared but it came back and now the car on accel. stutters and hesitates for a bit then clears in about any gear but 5th. Runs fine on the hwy its just city driving you really notice it.



I bought this car used from a dealer so I don't know how old the fuel filter, plugs, cap/rotor or plugs are. I'm going to find out today, but would those things cause this error code (P0012) http://engine-codes.com/p0012_scion.html ?



This is exactly what the issue is, I just fixed it on my car and it ran me ~$600.



Of course naturally as soon as I fixed it my headgasket decided to go on me :P

Reply 8 : Code P0012, anyone dealt with this???



So the story on mine gets better. I took it to the local Toyota dealer and got a call from them that the camshaft gear has to be replaced. That is covered under my warranty, but what isn't that I'm super pissed about. Is that when the other dealer I bought it from was cleaning the engine bay, they used a pressure washer and got water in the coils and damaged the spark plugs. They are picking up that bill and the dealer says this isn't the first time they have seen this.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I am actually getting ready to across this information, is very helpful my friend. Also great blog here with all of the valuable information you have. Keep up the good work you are doing here. bmw wheels

    ReplyDelete