Friday, March 25, 2011

How do I get a Tach for my Corolla DX?



Hello Everyone, I was wondering how to go about getting a Tach in my 1995 Corolla DX. I noticed the LE was the only one that came standard with a tach.



Thanks

Reply 1 : How do I get a Tach for my Corolla DX?



You can go to ebay or local salvage yards to get a full instrument cluster. Take your coolant or fuel gauge off of your own and put the tachometer from the new instrument cluster in its place. I did it like this.

I had never done anything like this before, so it is easy. But be careful not to break cluster's plastic fasteners.

Reply 2 : How do I get a Tach for my Corolla DX?




Quote:








Originally Posted by blumonster
View Post

You can go to ebay or local salvage yards to get a full instrument cluster. Take your coolant or fuel gauge off of your own and put the tachometer from the new instrument cluster in its place. I did it like this.

I had never done anything like this before, so it is easy. But be careful not to break cluster's plastic fasteners.



So the instrument cluster was plug and play for you? Also Can I reset the Miles on the new speed gauge or can put the old speed gauge in the new ones place on the instrument cluster?



Thank you for you reply.






Reply 3 : How do I get a Tach for my Corolla DX?




Reply 4 : How do I get a Tach for my Corolla DX?



ohh I see, the dealer gives you and special sticker for odometers changes and that comment really helped I know more about the psysics of Flight than the instrument cluster, so please give me a break

Reply 5 : How do I get a Tach for my Corolla DX?




Quote:








Originally Posted by blumonster
View Post

Take your coolant or fuel gauge off of your own and put the tachometer from the new instrument cluster in its place. I did it like this.

I had never done anything like this before, so it is easy. But be careful not to break cluster's plastic fasteners.




Quote:








Originally Posted by phillyd215
View Post

ohh I see, the dealer gives you and special sticker for odometers changes and that comment really helped I know more about the psysics of Flight than the instrument cluster, so please give me a break



sorry bro, but this is asked a lot. The odo can be swapped by itself. No need to swap gages fuel or coolant temp gages...



The picture shows the two different clusters...Not a before and after

Reply 6 : How do I get a Tach for my Corolla DX?



Sorry for the post over kill, I couldn't find the answer I was looking for. I wanted to make sure there wasn't any special parts (besides the full panel) that I needed to buy. I Know thats not a before and after (just wanted to high light what I was talking about) I am going to look on ebay and the junk yard for the full panel.



Thanks for the reply

Reply 7 : How do I get a Tach for my Corolla DX?



so i'm assuming you cant change the milage... you just have to go with whatever the tach comes with.

Reply 8 : How do I get a Tach for my Corolla DX?




Quote:








Originally Posted by jelly53
View Post

so i'm assuming you cant change the milage... you just have to go with whatever the tach comes with.



I read here that it was done in a 99

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/806193...corolla/page-4



But I read here it couldn't be done in a 95, and that you need a placard to show the difference between the old(actual) odo millage and the new one.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/605140...corolla/page-3





according to trife96 "The odo can be swapped by itself."

Reply 9 : How do I get a Tach for my Corolla DX?



You can just take your speedometer and plug it into the new cluster.

It is just plugging it.Nothing to change/modify.



I did it on my 1994 Geo Prizm.

My instrument cluster was exactly like the one in the first picture. (Except that the narrow bottom part is the top part, top part is the bottom on Geo Prizm, just the frame of the cluster, not the gauges.)



I took the speedometer and put it in the new cluster. My miles were lower, I did not want to use the high miles odometer.



No need to reset miles on the odometer.

Reply 10 : How do I get a Tach for my Corolla DX?



^ correct, I've swapped two already with success. Basically once you remove the cluster, you will notice the cluster splits in two halves. Also you may or may not have to unclip the clear lens depending. Unclip the two halves...and be careful, those plastic tabs can become brittle and break easily. Then you will see the odo is held in by three or four screws in the back....



But on the flip side, the old cluster WITHOUT the tach, also has two screws behind the mph gage. you will have to pull the needle off and remove those two little screws, then proceed to split the cluster and remove the same 3 or 4 screws in the back. The tach cluster will not have the two screws in the front so DON'T pull the needle off or it will be a PITA to get it back right (I made that mistake). But yes, it's not to hard



edit: actually, I think you have to pull the needle off regardless. Which means you will have to spend some time recalibrating it. I did this with the help of a friend and his car by leaving the clear lens off and pulling it on and off until it was right

Reply 11 : How do I get a Tach for my Corolla DX?



trife96, I just saw your cardomain page. How much did replacing the engine and transmission cost you? Looks nice.It seems you did the work yourself.

Reply 12 : How do I get a Tach for my Corolla DX?



^thanks man...yea I'm a DIY'er, engine with tranny was around $1300. Been so long I don't remober exactly. I plan to be done with it by the end of April

Reply 13 : How do I get a Tach for my Corolla DX?



I just took out the cluster. I see what you guys are talking about. That just what I need. Looks the the needle will be the biggest PITA. I guessing you cant just pull it back to zero or something Ill see when I get there. Thank you for the info. I see some on the internet for around 70bucks I'll order next week (birthday money!!)

Reply 14 : How do I get a Tach for my Corolla DX?



I did not have to mess with the needle at all.It did not move.It stayed where it was. Maybe Corolla is different?



You can get it even cheaper.Keep looking at ebay listings, try different search words/ key words. Sometimes even a typo can hide a listing from people, if you find it you are lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment