Thursday, March 17, 2011

Intake Membrane/Fabric



Hello Everyone,



I sold my 1970 FJ40 and bought a 2008 Trail Team FJ Cruiser. This is a great vehicle. I just did an oil change, replaced the cabin filter and replace the paper air filter with a K&N.



I noticed that inside the intake there is a filter like membrane. What is that for? Can it be removed? I feel it is restricting the air flow into the engine. Please see the attached picture to see what I'm talking about.






Reply 1 : Intake Membrane/Fabric



It's supposed to be some sort of charcoal filter. Peeps in the Taco have removed the filter, but have no measurable change in terms of performance.

Reply 2 : Intake Membrane/Fabric



It is a charcoal filter and it's intended to keep fuel vapor from being released after the engine is shut down. It was required for the 1GR to pass LEVII emissions requirements after 2004. It can be removed without affecting engine running emissions performance, but this filter is the main reason why many aftermarket intakes are not CARB legal. Once an aftermarket manufacturer creates an intake assembly that does not include that filter housing, it's no longer legal in CA.



The filter does work, however. I removed mine on my Tacoma after about 2-3 years of running, and it did smell like gas vapor.



Toyota could've added the filter on the throttle body, so that the engine would be aftermarket intake friendly, but I guess. Perhaps, an aftermarket company can do something similar and pass CARB certification. CA sucks sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment