Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Issue with Cooling fans 86 Toyota Camry



Hi,



This is my first post, im having some issues with a cooling fan on my 86 Camry. My first thought was fuses or fusible links. All of them appear to be fine.



So next i checked my fan motors by wiring them directly to the battery, both fan motors work. I have not tested the relays. I've come to the point now where im wondering if its not my water temperature sensor, it connects to the coolant hosing by the thermostat and has some function of turning on the fan.



My main question is if there is a way to test that sensor, it appears to be only one wire running out of it so i cant just bridge it to test. Would it be best to just replace that sensor and see if it works, or is there a better way to approach it?

Reply 1 : Issue with Cooling fans 86 Toyota Camry



86, so gen1 camry? I'm not too familiar with the location of these items on those, but there is a coolant temperature sender and an electric fan switch. I'm not sure to which you're referring.



The coolant temperature sender decreases resistance as temperature increases. You can take off the sender, place it in a water bath with a thermometer, and check for resistance across the terminal and the body of the sender. You'll have to check the FSM for the specs.



With the electric fan switch, it's just on or off. Check for continuity while in a water bath. The cutoff is around 200F or so. Below that temperature, it should be closed (continuity), above, open (no continuity).

No comments:

Post a Comment