Thursday, March 17, 2011

So Long, 4Runner. So Long, Toyota Nation.



My transmission is definitely on its way out at the moment. 5th gear went out on my 900 mile journey home after the holidays. 1-3 sound awful and reverse sounds even worse. 4th gear sounds pretty good for some reason. Also, on the way back to Wisconsin, I was only getting 15 MPG. After 5th gear went out on my way back to Cheyenne, I was getting 23-24 MPG in 4th gear.



I would like to thank Jetwhine and fourwd1 for their assistance with my problems these last couple years. I think every thread I started about my beast had comments from these two.



My 4cyl, 4wd, fuel injected 4Runner currently sits with 256,142 miles. I shall drive this no more.



Also, any ideas on how much I could get for my 4runner with no transmission?

Reply 1 : So Long, 4Runner. So Long, Toyota Nation.



big_buh gina,



Well that's to bad about your rig. With 256,000 miles on her you are just getting all the bugs out, why stop now? A tranny is not that big a deal to take out of a four wheel drive. You have plenty of clearance to work on it. But I do know sometimes you have to cut your losses and move on, to bad though. I would guess that you might get between 500 and 1000 dollars for it. Considering if you could find someone willing to do the work on it, otherwise you might only get the lower end of the deal. This is just my opinion and what I would see in my neck of the woods for a rig of your sorts. I hope this is not too disappointing to you. My thought would be fix it then sell it, but it sounds like you don't want to do that. I hope you can hook up with another Toyota that is newer and would have better luck with, because they truley are fantastic rigs. I would hate to see you driving a Ford or a Chevy. Of those 2 I would pick a Ford truck first. But for me I would rather drive a Toyota.

Good luck to you!!

Reply 2 : So Long, 4Runner. So Long, Toyota Nation.



I'm actually in the market for a 2000-2004 tacoma. I'm having a difficult time finding any toyotas in my area. I'm going to pick up an older honda accord or something similar until i find the tacoma i'm looking for. I'm also not opposed to getting another first generation 4Runner, should one come available.



I'll be back, but hopefully with fewer issues than i had with my 87 4Runner.

Reply 3 : So Long, 4Runner. So Long, Toyota Nation.




Reply 4 : So Long, 4Runner. So Long, Toyota Nation.



Hey Jetwhine,



I still have my 4runner and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. I've been looking for a used transmission to put in it, as i've heard that it isn't that difficult of a fix. I'm not having much luck finding one right now, but i was wondering about the rebuild kits you can find on ebay. Do you know if rebuilding would be the better way to go?

Reply 5 : So Long, 4Runner. So Long, Toyota Nation.



big_buh_gina,



My first thought is the junkyard. You can get usable trannys from them at a reasonable price with at least a 1 to 3 month warranty. The are pretty bullet proof. On the 4runner it is not that hard, everything is fairly easy to get too. You might even try craigslist. As far as rebuilding it yourself you just need patience. I have never rebuild one myself but I had a friend do one and he did not think it was too hard although he had to make a couple of special tools but he had access to some things to make them. He is still driving the rig and it seems to be fine. Hope this helps.

Reply 6 : So Long, 4Runner. So Long, Toyota Nation.



My local junkyard wants $350 for the only transmission they have. Unknown mileage as they sold the instrument cluster on that vehicle. I think i can do much better but I'm just not finding anything local. Craigslist has also been a bust.



What kind of tools did he make to do this?

Reply 7 : So Long, 4Runner. So Long, Toyota Nation.



big,



Just remembered it was a nissan that he rebuilt. But as I remember he did not have too difficult of a time fixing it. Sorry don't have any more details.

For $350 does he have a warranty? If you need your rig on the road sooooooon then I would look into the used tranny. But if you have the time and want to keep the vehicle then yes rebuild it. But if you plan on selling it then I would not bother with the rebuild.

Reply 8 : So Long, 4Runner. So Long, Toyota Nation.



thanks jetwhine, you've been a great help.

Reply 9 : So Long, 4Runner. So Long, Toyota Nation.



big,



Anytime I think I can help, I try.

No comments:

Post a Comment